Friday, June 14, 2013

Cashew and Coconut Ice Cream

Alec's DAN! doctor wants us to increase medium chain fatty acids in his diet, but it's been so hard because he's such a picky eater.  There's only so many muffins cooked with coconut oil that I can give him and I don't think that's getting enough of it in him.  This is important for improving his brains function and can also help to open his appetite when it comes to trying new food.   In my latest attempt to get him to eat coconut oil I made a cashew and coconut oil ice cream.  He loves vanilla ice cream and only vanilla ice cream, but since he's casein free he can no longer have it.  I have bought coconut milk ice cream, rice milk ice cream, and almond milk ice cream, but he hasn't liked any of them.  I don't know what makes me think he'll like my cashew/coconut oil concoction, but a mom can always dream, right? 

This recipe is adapted from here

Vanilla and Strawberry Cashew and Coconut Oil Ice cream

1/2 cup cashews soaked overnight (discard liquid)
1/2 cup of unrefined virgin coconut oil
2 tbs raw honey
1/4 tsp gluten free vanilla extract
5 frozen strawberries
about 1/4 cup almond milk ( I only added this so my blender would blend the other ingredients and have a smooth consistency.  If you have an awesome blender you might not need this)




Add all ingredients in your blender and blend until smooth.  If you have a really awesome blender, like a Vitamix (I really want one!), then you're done.  If you have a not so awesome blender, like me, then I'd continue to the next step.

-Strain the cream through a fine mesh strainer so that you're left with a smooth cream :)

I like to put my ice creams in little paper cups in the freezer.  They each have about 2 tbs, which should be a good serving of healthy fats for my kids!




2 comments:

  1. That ice cream looks great! Are you working with a nutritionist, or coming up w/ all these concoctions on your own!?! Amazing stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Perfect for a hot afternoon. I want that right now!

    ReplyDelete