Friday, July 12, 2013

Gluten Free Casein Free Almond Milk Vanilla Pudding

Since going gluten/casein free there have been a lot of snacks that Alec misses.  Most of them I've been able to recreate or buy, but there are two that I haven't been able to figured out.  Those would be cheese crackers, like goldfish or cheese-its, and vanilla pudding (we're not fans of the soy pudding and the almond milk pudding we find is only chocolate...which he won't eat).  The crackers pose a bigger problem because how am I suppose to make a delicious cheesy cracker with out using cheese?!  I have yet to find a cheese substitute that is delicious!  I love cheese and could eat it all day long, but the cheese substitutes are OK at best.  Nothing I would indulge in.  With that being said, I will try to make a gluten/casein free vanilla pudding first!  Besides making it GFCF I also want to reduce the amount of sugar I use in this recipe by substituting pure stevia extract.  We're treating him for yeast, and yeast loves sugar, so I've been trying to reduce his sugar intake.  Crossing my fingers that my very picky eater approves of this non-dairy version!  He loves his coconut milk yogurt, but not the coconut or almond milk ice cream...who understands!

Vanilla Almond Milk Pudding


1/2 tsp stevia extract
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 cup corn starch
2 1/2 cup sweetened vanilla almond milk
4 large egg yolks
1/2 tsp vanilla extract

1.  In a small dish combine cornstarch with 4 tablespoons of almond milk.  Mix until dissolved.  

2.  In a small saucepan combine cornstarch mixture, stevia, salt, remaining almond milk and eggs.  Whisk until combined

3.  Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens and bubbles just begin to form on the surface.

4.  Whisking constantly, turn down heat to low and cook for about 1 minute more


5.  Pour the mixture through a fine sieve.  Mix in the vanilla extract. 

6.  Place plastic wrap directly on the surface and chill for 2 hours before serving.

****Success!!! He gobbled it up and asked for seconds! It's really good :)

1 comment: