Friday, April 12, 2013

Out with the plastic...in with the glass



     In trying to make our home clean of many toxins, I decided to get rid of all plastic food storage containers as well as all plastic cups, plates, bowls, forks, spoon, etc.  My amazon order finally arrived! Yay!  I ordered a tempered glass cup for Alec that has a silicone lid.  I like him to use a lid if he's not at the table.  Emily got a tempered glass sippy cup with a protective silicone sleeve and they both received tempered glass bowls and plates.  It was a difficult process throwing away all of my gazillion plastic children's cups, plates, snack traps, etc.   I kept thinking "what if I need it?  Maybe I should store it in a closet?" But I decided "OUT with the chemicals!"  I repurposed a few that could hold crayons and miscellaneous arts & crafts supplies.  I knew Alec would be fine handling his new dinnerware, but I was worried about giving glass (however tempered it might be) to my plate tossing, cup slinging toddler.  So, I decided to sit with her on the floor and have a picnic style dinner, hence minimizing the traveling distance from the high chair to the floor.  Besides repeatedly putting her foot in her bowl she did just fine.  I think I might get rid of the high chair and get a picnic table for the kids to eat at when we're not all sitting down together.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the great idea about tempered glass products. I am also trying to decrease the chemicals our children are exposed to. I am also recycling glass jars like from pickles and using them instead of plastic Tupperware. Keep sharing your great ideas...

    ReplyDelete